I made this quiche for Ray today for his birthday. The kale came straight my garden out back.
I would highly recommend this recipe. I made a few substitutions which I believe improve the recipe in some key areas. Otherwise, it’s a 5 star!
Kale and Onion Quiche
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr 20 mins
- Servings: 6
About This Recipe
“Even using whole milk and full fat ingredients, this is fairly low cal, but if fat-free or low fat alternatives this would be a great low cal/low fat brunch or lunch dish. Recipe source: local newspaper”
- 1 prepared 9 inch pie shell
- 3 eggs (I used 4 eggs)
- 3/4 cup half-and-half (I used 1 cup nonfat milk for all the milk in the recipe.)
- 3/4 cup milk (Read my note above.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 green onions, minced (I used a yellow whole onion.)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups kale, chopped (Fresh from the garden)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated (I used a cup.)
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees F.
- Tear off a piece of foil large enough to fit inside of pie crust and then press it into the pie crust and fill with dried beans. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and discard foil and beans. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, half and half, milk, salt, red pepper flakes (if using) and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a skillet on medium high heat oil and butter and add onions and garlic, cooking until softened (3-5 minutes). Stir in kale and cook stirring until wilted (5 minutes).
- Spoon vegetables into crust and sprinkle with cheese. Pour egg/milk mixture over all.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until set.