Watermelon is my favorite fruit. In fact, I just consumed about a fourth of a watermelon a few minutes ago and I am currently staring at its rind.
I am also very tired today after a long round trip to Ojai and Santa Barbara.
I thought sharing a few facts on watermelons might be edifying tonight, plus give me even more reason to eat this tastiest of fruits on as many occasions as possible.
A few interesting facts:
1) Watermelon is a fruit and a vegetable. Did you know that? I certainly didn’t. Apparently, its origins can be traced back to the squash, pumpkin and cucumber family. Alas, anyone can justify copious amounts because you are getting double duty on vegetables and fruit.
2) Apparently, watermelons are full of lycopene, which is a great antioxidant.
3) Watermelons are also full of Vitamin C and Vitamin A. They are also full of dietary fiber.
4) Watermelon juice reduces muscle soreness. (Hmmm. I didn’t know this, but I’d like to think that I’m not very sore because I eat so much watermelon.)
5) Watermelon is composed of almost all water; therefore, watermelon is an excellent way to keep yourself hydrated.
So, what are you waiting for? Go out and buy 1 or 2 watermelons and starting eating them as soon as possible. Your heart, lungs, skin and vital organs will thank you.
And on that note, I am going to stumble off to bed for the night. I will need to buy another watermelon tomorrow. I finished the one I bought yesterday tonight.
Good night, you all. What kinds of fruit do you love? Tell me in the comments section.